Poshmark Pets is a leading social marketplace where people can buy and sell all sorts of accessories for pets. It is a fun and social way to shop budget-friendly items for popular brands and a great opportunity for budding entrepreneurs.
I’ve been selling on the Poshmark community since 2019. My older sister introduced me to the site; she had been selling for a few years before I gained interest, so having someone to help guide me through the start-up was incredibly valuable. Ironically, my big sister now gets all her Poshmark community tips and tricks from me!
When Poshmark Pets launched, I was one of the first sellers to take advantage of the new pets category formally. I say “formally” because many sellers in the Poshmark’s community found workarounds for pet items for years before the actual pet category’s formal launch. Now, selling secondhand pet accessories is one of my hottest categories — it’s also the most fun and I thoroughly enjoy the social aspects of selling on Poshmark.
In the following sections, I’ll guide you through the basics of selling on Poshmark Pets. I’ll start by covering the most basic information for the newcomers and work my way to some of my favorite Poshmark Pets tips and tricks. Feel free to jump ahead if you’re already experienced!
What we will cover
- How to List and Sell Your Pet Items on Poshmark Pets — If you’re already an established seller, you can skip this section!
- Poshmark Pets Policies
- Poshmark Pets Categories
- Know Your Target Audience — Poshmark Pets Demographics
- Poshmark Pets: Tips and Tricks
- Copylisting feature
- Bundle Feature –
- Using the My Inventory Report
- Using price comparables / (check sizes)
- Connect to Social (see /post-tips
- Using Hashtags
- Tell a story (about the piece, its history, etc.)
We’ve got a lot to cover, so let’s get started with the basics, and I’ll explain how all you proud pet owners can buy and sell your pet toys and other items.
How to List and Sell Your Pet Items on Poshmark Pets
When you’re trying to sell an item on Poshmark Pets for the first time, it’s helpful to know how to actually list your pet goods. This is a quick guide on how to list your pet items in six easy steps:
- First, download the Poshmark App on Google Play or the Apple App Store.
- In the app, tap the “sell” button
- Upload a picture of the pet item you want to sell (maximum 16 photos)
- Choose the correct Pet category and fill out the item’s title, description, and price
- Hit the “next” button — now you can share it with friends on social media if you like
- Tap the “list” button — your posting is now live!
The listing itself is actually really easy! This is probably why Poshmark is so popular. It’s the finer details that make someone a genuinely successful Poshmark Pets Seller!
Poshmark Pets Policies
Most of Poshmark’s general policies are pretty intuitive and boil down to “don’t be a jerk.” However, I think it’s helpful to run through a few of their specific Poshmark Pets policies to make sure you don’t make any mistakes. It’s best to follow their blog regularly to keep up with company news.
- Poshmark doesn’t condone buying and selling pet food or live animals!
- Make sure your pet goods are thoroughly and adequately sanitized before you ship them.
These are pretty easy to follow, and kudos to Poshmark for not supporting the pet-breeding industry! Adopt, don’t shop!
Poshmark Pets Categories
Now that we know what we can’t sell, it’s essential to understand what we can sell to fellow Poshmark Pet owners through supported Poshmark Pets categories.
Poshmark Pets is divided into six main shop categories popular brands, with many subcategories such as toys, carriers, and accessories below each one. The main categories are:
- Small Pets
To get more recognition on this company buy and sell platform, think about how you can offer pet owners an effortless shopping experience. A buyer might size select a category for specific sizes. By labeling your pet food as size os, for instance, anyone looking for items of size os will find it under this category.
For more information, Poshmark Pets has an extensive list of subcategories for you to peruse.
Know Your Target Audience — Poshmark Pets Demographics
If you’re trying to sell something, it’s wise to know who you’re selling to. This is true for Poshmark Pets. The good seller considers the personal styles of their target demographic So, what are the demographics of your target audience?
Your target audience is a Venn diagram of the intersection of the average person purchasing pet supplies and Poshmark’s average user. You can use national pet ownership averages to better promote the sales of your new and secondhand style to other pet owners.
According to Statista, the average person purchasing pet supplies:
- 32.3% are 25-44
- 45.2% are 45-64
- 14.5% are 65+
- 8% and under 25
Additionally, pet owners are more likely to be female, older, and affluent.
According to Poshmark’s most recent Social Commerce Report,
- About 20% of current users are Gen Z, and 25% of new users are Gen Z
- Gen Z is more likely to be influenced by social media brands
- 26% live in major cities while 40% live in small-medium cities
- 37% of buyers live in the southern U.S.
- 88% of buyers have bought before
- 97% of Poshmark’s respondents were female
So, where do we see the most overlap? I’d recommend targeting city-dwelling females ages 25–64 who own pets and are comfortable shopping online.
Read Also: Posh Parties (The Ultimate Guide)
Poshmark Pets: Tips and Tricks
My first tip is to get familiar with Poshmark’s selling features. They offer some fantastic tools, but you need to learn how to use them. Here are a few must-know features:
- Copy listing feature — Create a new listing from a pre-existing listing
- Bundle Feature — Bundle several items so buyers can purchase them together
- My Inventory Report — Get details on your available listings
- Trends Feature — On the top left, select “Poshmark Pets” to see trending pet items
- My Sales Report — Get all the details on your previous sales within a timeframe of your choosing
- Posh Stories — Use the Stories feature to get potential buyers emotionally invested in your pet items
Besides Poshmark’s excellent list of tools and features, sellers can do a few other things. Here are a few other tips to boost your success rate on Poshmark Pets:
- Use price comparables — Check what your item lists for new, then see how your competitors are pricing it. Another good idea is to check sizes. For example, you can price a bit higher if you have the only XXS hot-pink cat harness!
- Connect to Social Media — With the free Posh app, you can connect with us, shop in united harmony with pet owners all over the globe.
- Use Hashtags
- Read the Posh Tips Blog — It’s full of some really great ideas you may not think of yourself!
Happy Selling on Poshmark Pets!
Now that you know the basics, as well as a few tips and tricks, let me know how your pet goods sell! And share your suggestions — and cute pet pics — with me! I love trading advice and ogling people’s cutie-pets! (Tag us on Instagram @resellerassistant)
Happy Poshmark Pets Selling!