The Ultimate Guide to Mercari Shipping 2023
If you’re a Mercari seller, you know how important shipping is for your online business. Shipping your order quickly and efficiently is very important to ensure customer satisfaction and build a good reputation as a seller on the marketplace. However, shipping is also one of the most complex and confusing aspects of selling on Mercari.
In this blog, we’ll be taking a deep dive into how shipping works for Mercari sellers. We’ll cover everything from the different shipping options available for sellers, Mercari shipping rates, and even a few tips for shipping protection.
Firstly, we’ll discuss the different shipping options available to you as a Mercari seller, including Mercari prepaid label, Mercari “Ship Your Own” and Mercari “Pack and Ship” services. We’ll then walk you through Mercari shipping rates for 2023. Moreover, we will discuss how Mercari shipment protection works and for what countries Mercari shipping is available.
By the end of this blog, you’ll have a comprehensive understanding of how Mercari shipping works, and will be equipped with the knowledge to optimize your shipping process and provide your buyers with the best possible experience.
Shipping Options Available for Mercari Sellers
1- Mercari Prepaid Label
Mercari prepaid label is a quick and hassle-free way to ship your sold items. When you select this option, you’ll receive a mail with the shipping label, and all you need to do is determine the weight and size of the item and include it on the listing. The label can be used with USPS, FedEx, or UPS, providing you with the flexibility to choose anyone you want. By using the prepaid label, you can save time and effort, as well as ensure that your item is delivered to the buyer in a timely and efficient manner.
How Does Mercari Prepaid Label Work?
- When a seller on Mercari decides to offer a prepaid label for shipping, they will select that option during the listing process.
- When a buyer purchases the item, they will be charged for the item’s price and the shipping cost, which includes the cost of the prepaid label.
- After the purchase is complete, the seller will receive a notification to create the prepaid label. They will need to enter the weight of the package and the shipping address.
- Mercari will generate a shipping label with a barcode that includes the buyer’s shipping information and tracking number and mail it to the seller.
- The seller will print that label and attach it to the package, then drop it off at the designated carrier (such as USPS, FedEx, or UPS) or schedule a pickup.
- The buyer will receive a notification when the item has been shipped and can track the package’s progress using the tracking number.
- When the package is delivered, the buyer will need to confirm receipt of the item within 3 days. If they don’t confirm receipt, Mercari will automatically confirm receipt on their behalf after 3 days.
- Once the buyer confirms receipt or the automatic confirmation occurs, the seller will receive payment for the item, minus Mercari’s selling fee and the cost of the prepaid label.
2- Mercari “Ship Your Own”
Mercari also offers a “Ship Your Own” shipping option to its sellers, enabling them to select their preferred shipping services and manage their shipments independently. This option is particularly beneficial for experienced sellers with larger items as they can secure cheaper shipping rates compared to Mercari’s shipping partners. Sellers can choose to schedule a pick-up from their preferred shipping provider or drop off their item themselves. So the “Ship Your Own” option provides greater flexibility for sellers to manage their shipping process and potentially save on shipping costs.
How Does Mercari “Ship Your Own” Work?
- Once the item is sold, the seller will receive a notification.
- The seller then has to buy a shipping label and ship the item using his/her preferred shipping provider.
- The seller must then confirm that the item has been shipped by entering the tracking number in the Mercari app.
- Once the buyer receives the item and rates the transaction, the seller will receive his/her payment from Mercari.
3- Mercari “Pack and Ship”
Mercari “Pack and Ship” is a shipping option designed for resellers who may not have the time or ability to package their items, especially fragile ones. This shipping option involves a packing expert who will handle the entire packaging and shipping process, including arranging the item’s shipment. This service is particularly convenient for busy resellers who require extra protection for their items and want a hassle-free way to sell their products.
How Does Mercari “Pack and Ship” Work?
- Once you sold an item on Mercari, you will receive a shipping code.
- Within three business days, you need to bring your item to any UPS store along with that shipping code.
- There you need to show the shipping code to the UPS store associate, and they will take care of the rest.
- The UPS Store “Certified Packing Experts” will package your item and ship it to the buyer for you.
- You can track the shipment status on the ‘Order Status’ page, and the buyer will also receive updates about the package delivery.
Mercari Shipping Rates for 2023
If you are using Mercari Prepaid Label for shipping in 2023 then it will definitely cost you around 40% cheaper than regular rates for some carriers, such as USPS. Moreover, Mercari prepaid labels also come with package protection up to $200 in value, which can be a good option for higher-value items.
From February 1, 2023, Mercari has increased the shipping fees for Mercari Prepaid Labels a bit while other shipping carriers also increased the prices by up to 18.25%.
Here’s how shipping rates for Mercari are for 2023.
Packages Size: Small (7” x 6” x 3” – Up to 1 lb.)
- Mercari Prepaid Label: $6.18
- Retail Carrier: $11.30 (Avg.)
- Mercari Pack and Ship: $30.00
Package Size: Medium (12″ x 10″ x 5″ – Up to 5 lbs.)
- Mercari Prepaid Label: $10.95
- Retail Carrier: $20 (Avg.)
- Mercari Pack and Ship: $35.00
Package Size: Large (45” x 18” x 6” – Up to 40 lbs.)
- Mercari Prepaid Label: $45
- Retail Carrier: $85 (Avg.)
- Mercari Pack and Ship: $70.00
What Is Mercari Shipping Protection and How It Works?
Mercari Shipping Protection is a service offered by Mercari that is designed to protect both buyers and sellers in case of shipping-related issues, such as lost or damaged packages.
When a buyer purchases an item on Mercari, he/she is protected for any item up to $200 if the carrier loses or damages his/her item in transit. Moreover, Mercari will cover the cost of the item if it is lost or damaged during shipping.
However, to qualify for Mercari Shipping Protection, the item must be shipped using a Mercari prepaid label.
If the package is lost or damaged during shipping, the buyer can file a claim with Mercari. Mercari will review the claim and determine if it is eligible for a refund. If the claim is approved, the buyer will receive a refund for the full cost of the item, including any applicable taxes and shipping fees.
Sellers are also protected under Mercari Shipping Protection. If a buyer claims that an item was not received, the seller can provide tracking information as proof of delivery.
If the package is lost during shipping and the buyer has purchased Shipping Protection, Mercari will cover the cost of the item, and the seller will not be held responsible.
For What Countries Mercari Shipping Is Available?
As of May 2023, Mercari does not support international shipping.
This means that sellers on Mercari can only ship their items to buyers within the United States, with the exception of US territories and PO/APO/FPO addresses.
And since Mercari doesn’t allow shipping to anywhere outside the USA, it doesn’t support shipping to Canada as well.
It is also important to know that FedEx and UPS Ground also do not accept P.O. Boxes as valid shipping addresses, which also limits the shipping options for both buyers and sellers on Mercari.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Q: Can I use my own shipping method instead of Mercari shipping?
A: Yes, sellers can choose to use their own shipping method instead of Mercari shipping. However, using Mercari shipping provides certain benefits, such as discounted shipping rates and protection against certain shipping issues.
Q: What is the maximum weight for items shipped using Mercari Shipping?
A: The maximum weight for items shipped using Mercari Shipping is 150 lbs.
Q: What happens if there is an issue with my Mercari shipment?
A: If there is an issue with a Mercari shipment, the seller and buyer can contact Mercari’s customer support team for assistance. Mercari has a process in place to resolve any issues that may arise during the shipping process.